Monday, August 3, 2009

Last day of Kindergarten

Allie had her last day of kindergarten back on June 4th. The last day they pretty much had stuff going on all day. First they had a graduation, they all lined up and walked in to the typical graduation song, wearing these cute paper caps. The they sung this song, and her teacher had said it was going to be a little long- well that was an understatement it was like 15 -20 minutes. It was kind of like the military song that you sometimes see groups signing when they march that ends with "and they all go marching down" (Heath said it's the song from Die Hard 3, - I am sure that totally clarifies it for all of you). Anyways it went something like this "The kindergartner marched one by one Hora hora, (repeat), The kindergarten marched one by one and Allie stopped to do some quick arithmetic, (Allie's line) eleven plus eleven equals twenty two, and they all go marching down to the school to go in to first grade." except Allie was number 19 out of 20 students and they each had their own line and it went one by one, two by two, three by three, etc all the way to twenty by twenty. Heath started taping it and actually ran out of tape about 10 min. in to it but thankfully we had another one and he was still able to get Allie's part. After that they handed out class awards that all the kids voted on. Allie got Most Funny, which I am not sure I agree with but she thinks she is and was so happy about that award. Then they also handed out the perfect attendance awards (We did not get this since Allie had pneumonia around spring break) but she did get the super scientist award. that is given out each 6 weeks to 1 student per class that shows a special interest in the science section/topic for that time. Then finally they each got their diplomas from her teacher. After that they had their class party, which I stayed to help with then they do a balloon lift off for the 5th graders as they walk the halls for the last time. After that it was almost over and Allie's teacher gathered them all around to talk with them one last time and to get one last hug from each of them. This was a very emotional time because Mrs. D is not going to be at her school again next year. She told them to each give her the biggest hug they had ever given and when Allie went to hug her I felt the tears well up. I was so emotional, first my little girl is getting so big and second she had just the best year with the most wonderful, loving teacher. I was nervous before school started but Mrs. D. was better than I could have imagined. She taught Allie and all the other kids so much, never raised her voice, and truly loved each of them. Every time I was in the class room I was always amazed at her patience with them and caring attitude. She was the best 1st teacher Allie of I could have asked for, so saying good by was VERY hard. I have not posted pictures of her before because I wanted to protect her identity but since she will not be at the same school I think it is OK. By the time we got to the car I had pulled it together but Allie was on the verge of tears. She kept telling me "I'm going to miss Mrs. D." over and over. It just broke my heart. But thankfully when we got home Allie still had a few birthday presents she had not played with so I opened them up and played with her while Austin napped. Later that night though when Heath got home she climbed up in his lap and just cried- it totally broke my heart-but also made me happy at the same time.
Allie with her Diploma
Allie with her Super Scientist ribbon
Hearing one last story

The final hug from the best Kindergarten teacher ever. We love you Mrs. D.

1 comment:

Andi said...

I'm glad Allie had a GREAT 1st year of school! The last day sounded wonderful!